Friday, 25 October 2013

Temple of Heaven


Hey my love, sorry I missed you, but we've been out on the town after dinner. I wanted to go out to see some of the real Beijing, so Geoff escorted your mum and I around the local area for an hour or so. Was really interesting. Saw lots of local food traders on the street, and lots of local smells, and did a bit of window shopping. Geoff and your mum bought a couple of things, clothes and bags.


The toilets here have left a lasting impression on all of us. I'm continuing the Barlow tradition of compiling a comprehensive list of loos in Beijing. In the last couple of days, I've been to 5* loos and I've had to endure -5* ones as well. Actually today I have seen the worst EVER! Felt sick to my stomach so think -100* maybe. Didn't actually use them, got out as quick possible. After yesterday's visit to the toilets in the dormitories at the boys school, I didn't think it could get any worse. I was wrong!




Stretching out of the Silk Cocoon
Anyway, enough about loos. I'll tell you what we did this morning. We went to the Temple of Heaven; again stark and not much to see. No gardens or grass, much like the Forbidden City. Oh yes. We went to a silk factory and saw the whole process from start to finish. Had no idea what was involved, but was amazed that there's not much skill in weaving the thread, or more appropriately unweaving. Your mum and i splashed out and bought a silk doona each, summer weight.

Then after a very ordinary lunch we went to the Dodgey Brothers store for some more shopping - knock off bags and electrical good. That was an amazing experience as I said to you on the phone. Our guide made a phone call when we arrived, a guy came out of the 'exit' door to meet and escort us down a dark dirty stair well, down 5 flights of stairs to a carpark. At the back of this dingy dirty carpark was a door. He knocked and a guy opened the door and let us in. He quickly locked the door after us!








Oh and by the way, on the way to the temple of heaven, there was a park similar to Inokashira Koen, and we saw a very large amount of locals in groups, singing, dancing, juggling, taichi-ing and doing other stuff such as playing cards, crocheting, knitting and of course mahjong while socializing. Was an incredible atmosphere and more fun and interesting than the temple itself! :-)


In the morning we're off to the Houtong district and tea ceremony. Keen to see how that differs to Japanese ones, and then the Summer Palace. Hopefully catch up in the morning and have time to chat a bit. XX

No comments:

Post a Comment